With sorority bid night over and a slew of students newly affiliated, it seems all anyone is talking about are the sororities or fraternities they’ve fallen in love with. Luckily, for those of us who didn’t rush, there’s still a way to get our Greek on. Greek yogurt that is. Packed with protein and low in sugar, plain Greek yogurt is a healthy snack and ingredient alternative when cooking and baking. (Bonus: it’s readily available in the dining halls and won’t break the bank if bought at Whole Foods)
- Still working on those New Year’s resolutions? Try tossing some Greek yogurt into a green smoothie.
- Served simply with a little bit of fruit and granola, a parfait is a great start to any morning.
- No morning classes? Whip up some pancakes and treat yo’ self.
- Get really Greek-y with it and slather some tzatziki sauce onto a lamb burger (or a quinoa burger for you herbivores).
- Top some leftover pulled pork with a quick and creamy coleslaw that’s huge on taste but low in calories.
- Use Greek yogurt in place of sour cream to add protein to vegetable soup.
- Greek yogurt can add heft and richness to easy pasta dishes without adding any heft to your waistline.
Snacks and Treats:
- Dark chocolate and Greek yogurt in one dessert? That’s practically a health food – go ahead, have seconds.
- A little less cream cheese and a lot more Greek yogurt make for a light and fluffy cheesecake.
- Try something savory with this protein-packed spinach artichoke dip.
- Greek yogurt in lieu of sour cream makes taco dip (find the recipe below) the perfect snack for this little event coming up called the Super Bowl.
Greek Yogurt Taco Dip
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Active Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
1 16 oz. container of plain Greek yogurt
1 packet taco seasoning blend
1 cup shredded cheese from a package or grated by handed
Optional toppings: lettuce, tomatoes, onions, olives, chilies, etc.
1. Stir together 16 oz. container of Greek yogurt and 1 packet of taco seasoning.
2. Spread mixture along bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and choice of toppings.
3. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to enjoy!
4. For an even tastier (and healthier) treat, scoop up the dip with homemade corn tortilla chips.