These incredibly delicious macaroons are also incredibly easy. Not to be confused with a French macaron, these cookies can be whipped up in a spur of the moment craving. Soft and chewy on the inside, the egg whites get golden and crispy on the edges. Although these are definitely for the coconut lovers out there, my brother, a sworn coconut hater, has been seen sneaking one or two – they are that good!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: about 20 macaroons
14oz sweetened shredded coconut
14oz sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 extra large eggs, room temperature
¼ tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Combine the coconut, condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl.
3. Separate the eggs and combine the egg whites and salt (you don’t need the yolks so you can save them for some other use).
4. Whip the egg whites and salt on high speed until they form medium-firm peaks (tip: you know they are medium firm peaks when the egg whites hold their form/stand up when pushed).
5. Fold egg whites carefully into the coconut mixture (don’t over mix it, you want the egg whites airy).
6. Spoon cookie-sized balls onto parchment lined cookie sheets, leaving an inch between each ball. Bake for 25-30 minutes until they are golden brown, rotating the trays after 10 minutes.
5. Cool and enjoy.
Tip: These are extra delicious if you add 1 cup of chocolate chips, just know they will stick to the parchment a little bit. But they’re so good you’ll eat every crumb.